Skunks are unmistakable smelly creatures that sometimes get too close for comfort, causing any number of problems. If their presence starts to hinder your everyday life and threatens your Memphis home & property, you may be asking yourself, "How do I get rid of skunks?" Wildlife X Team® Memphis can help! We offer skunk removal services that are fast, safe, and effective. Give our office a call today at 405.816.9700!
How to Recognize a Skunk
Recognizable by their bushy tails and the stripes down their backs, they eat a healthy balance between small animals and plants. When feeling threatened, skunks emit an odorous spray that is meant to ward off predators; skunk spray can shoot up to 15ft and travel a mile away!
Their one-of-a-kind defense is fascinating. Did you know:
- Skunks would rather resort to threatening tactics, similar to how an intimidated cat might react, rather than immediately spraying
- The skunk odor can linger for months, if enough is released
Though skunks prefer rural areas, they certainly make due in cities if the right resources are available to them. This can cause problems for all parties involved, whether human or skunk.
Common Skunk Problems
Although skunks may look cute and innocent, it's important to remember that they are wild animals and need to be treated as such. Some warning signs that a skunk is making itself too comfortable on your property include:
- Crop/Agricultural Damage: When hunting for food, skunks sometimes make their way onto farms. They may eat and destroy the crops or even eggs before they are gathered.
- Intense/Recurring Stench: Likely the most common indication of skunk presence, the unique stench of a skunk is a force to be reckoned with. If the smell lingers around your property for a long period, it might be time to call the professionals at Wildlife X Team® Memphis for skunk removal.
- Torn-up Landscapes: Skunks can damage flower bulbs and other plants on their search for food or to burrow.
Skunk Removal Process
When it comes to removing skunks, it's important to rely on professionals. Skunks may carry diseases that can be transferred to humans and it's safe to assume that no one—or their pets—wants to get sprayed. It takes the right training and the right equipment to engage with skunks properly. Our team at Wildlife X Team® Memphis has trained, experienced technicians who can safely and effectively trap skunks and make sure to keep skunks away—and your Memphis home safe.